We’re always interested in easy ways to rev up living room decor. If you can only add one item to make a big impact in your space, an area rug is an excellent choice. The right living room rug can pull all of your accent colors together, add pattern to a neutral color palette or soften hard edges in a contemporary room.
5 things to consider when choosing a new living room rug
- Size: Make sure your rug is the right scale for your room.
- Color: Your new rug looks best if it features at least two of your accent colors.
- Comfort: Choose a rug you love, but it’s also important that it feels good underfoot.
- Care: Check the cleaning and maintenance of any rug you are considering.
- Style: The good news is that almost all rug styles are almost neutral — color is more important than pattern.
When you’re choosing a new living room rug, confirm it fits your seating area by measuring. Most designers suggest a rug that is large enough to cover a conversation area, with the front legs of your sofa and chairs on the rug to anchor the space. Rug designs are so versatile that you can mix one that you love with any decor style, as long as the color is right. Here are 12 stylish living room rug ideas to fuel your inspiration:
1. Create a coastal vibe with a dreamy blue rug
The Looking Glass rug adds romance to a living room with an impressionistic floral pattern.
It’s easy to create a beach-inspired living room with a new rug and a few accessories. Choose an airy rug with ocean blues and a light neutral color like beige, gray or white. Soft stripes, or florals like the CompanyC Looking Glass rug pictured above, can provide the perfect pattern for your living room makeover.
2. Add pretty boho color with a pink area rug
The Aliyah rug brings a bright accent of pink to a neutral living room.
If you’re looking to go a little boho but aren’t ready to paint bright colors, adding a vibrant rug might be all you need. Bright colors are easier on the eye when they’re on the floor, so this is your chance to really indulge in a fun hue. We love the instant transformation of a living room with just that one perfect item, like the Aliyah Area Rug from Joss & Main.